Today we paid the berthing
fees for our 2 week stay here at Povoa de Varzim. Its ironic that it was cheaper
to pay for a month than pay for 14 nights.
The weather appears
to be a little more settled and we have seen the sun for the first time since
Friday. We plan to be on our way tomorrow morning. The cockpit tent has come
down and the supermarket and local stores have been visited several times. The
rucksacks have been invaluable and I’m sure will continue to be so. The
interior of the boat has been repacked again for the crossing to Madeira. As
items are used it upsets the packing order as it leaves a space. Repacking
stops the horrible noise of banging items in a locker or box. Ideally
everything should fit tightly in the cupboard, locker or box. Conscious of the
fact that wine is difficult to get in the Caribbean we had to get a selection
to replace the bottles we have already drunk. To fill the gaps in the storage.
[See, you’re getting the idea!]
The
bananas I bought last week when I thought we were leaving were bright green
when they were hung up. Today they are over ripe and I had to make another
banana and raisin loaf [what a shame!] I also made a batch of scone mix for in
the fridge so they can be made up freshly whilst sailing.
The fruit and veg
here is relatively inexpensive and has never seen the inside of a fridge.
However it does not last long in the heat. I have stocked up with apples,
bananas, peaches and oranges. I do have to remember though that there are only
2 of us and not a full boat.
For the journey breakfast
will consist of fruit and yoghurt with bread and jam, lunch will probably be
cold meat sandwiches, crisps and cake. I expect to be using part baked rolls or
Brioche for the latter part of the trip. I may even be persuaded to try my hand
at baking some bread.
Our main meals will
consist of fresh beef casserole, beef hotpot, salmon in lime and chilli sauce
with potatoes, tuna pasta bake, fresh ravioli, and Potato carbonara. Hopefully
by the evening of day 7 we will be in Porto Santo and I’ll get treated to a
meal out!
We also have a huge
supply of essential goodies, chocolate, biscuits, sweets, fruit, crisps, which
all help to see us through our watches.
We plan to leave
tomorrow morning around 9am [very civilised] The engine checks are done, the
water and diesel tanks are filled. The rigging has been checked whilst we have
been here, both from ground level and from up the mast. Mesh hatch screens have
been made to repel insects, and the satellite phone works. Also downloaded more books onto the Kindles. We are as ready as we can
be.
Tomorrow the weather
is forecast to be NE 3 backing NW 4-5 so
we should be able to make good time when the NW kicks in. For the next week or
so there will be no blog update but we shall be back as soon as possible with
more tales from the Atlantic.


It was very intersting to read all about your meticulous preparations for your voyage to Madeira. All sounds very 5 Star - banana & raisin loaf, scones & homemade bread, not to mention the Dinner Delights. Why would you want to have a meal out? Thanks for the recent Spots. It really is great fun opening them up to see where you are. Great to see you have arrived at Porto Santo. You must have had some very good sailing. Look forward to your next communication.
ReplyDeleteAllan & Marjorie xx